God did not create a meaningless world.
1. The idea for today is, of course, the reason why a meaningless world is impossible. 2What God did not create does not exist. 3And everything that does exist exists as He created it. 4The world you see has nothing to do with reality. 5It is of your own making, and it does not exist.
2. The exercises for today are to be practiced with eyes closed throughout. 2The mind-searching period should be short, a minute at most. 3Do not have more than three practice periods with today’s idea unless you find them comfortable. 4If you do, it will be because you really understand what they are for.
3. The idea for today is another step in learning to let go the thoughts that you have written on the world, and see the Word of God in their place. 2The early steps in this exchange, which can truly be called salvation, can be quite difficult and even quite painful. 3Some of them will lead you directly into fear. 4You will not be left there. 5You will go far beyond it. 6Our direction is toward perfect safety and perfect peace.
4. With eyes closed, think of all the horrors in the world that cross your mind. 2Name each one as it occurs to you, and then deny its reality. 3God did not create it, and so it is not real. 4Say, for example:
5God did not create that war, and so it is not real.
6God did not create that airplane crash, and so it is not real.
7God did not create that disaster [specify], and so it is not real.
5. Suitable subjects for the application of today’s idea also include anything you are afraid might happen to you, or to anyone about whom you are concerned. 2In each case, name the “disaster” quite specifically. 3Do not use general terms. 4For example, do not say, “God did not create illness,” but, “God did not create cancer,” or heart attacks, or whatever may arouse fear in you.
6. This is your personal repertory of horrors at which you are looking. 2These things are part of the world you see. 3Some of them are shared illusions, and others are part of your personal hell. 4It does not matter. 5What God did not create can only be in your own mind apart from His. 6Therefore, it has no meaning. 7In recognition of this fact, conclude the practice periods by repeating today’s idea:
8God did not create a meaningless world.
7. The idea for today can, of course, be applied to anything that disturbs you during the day, aside from the practice periods. 2Be very specific in applying it. 3Say:
4God did not create a meaningless world. 5He did not create [specify the situation which is disturbing you], and so it is not real.